Hardy Plant Society
Our group loves hardy perennials. We help each other to grow them better, to try different species and to exchange information about them.
The group warmly welcomes members and non-members to our monthly talks by local and national speakers held on Mondays at 7.30 p.m. at the Crooklands Hotel on the A65 near Junction 36 of the M6. We hold a number of other events including plant sales and garden visits.
Monthly Talks: fascinating talks on a range of subjects. Members free, visitors £3.00, free parking. Small plants and sundries are normally for sale and a raffle is held at each meeting.
2020 programme of lectures and events
- MONDAY 20th JANUARY ‘The Way We Were' with Doug Stewart, asking how we gardened over 60 years ago and how much things have changed.
- MONDAY 17th FEBRUARY 'A Rainbow of Dahlias' with Jack Gott (Dahlia tubers for sale)
- MONDAY 19th MARCH AGM followed by Adrian Lees and 'The Botanical Gardens of South East Australia'
- MONDAY 20th APRIL 'Daffodils' with Ian Tyler, Daffodil Society Judge
- MONDAY 18th MAY 'The Versatility of Herbs' with Helen Shipton-Smith (Raffle prize- a herb planter)
- SATURDAY 13th JUNE Annual Plant Sale at Preston Patrick Memorial Hall near Kendal 10am -Noon 50p Entrance fee. Many unusual plants. Tea, coffee and cake available.
- MONDAY 21st SEPTEMBER 'The Joy of Geraniums' with Dr Andrew Ward of Norwell Nurseries, Newark (Plants for sale)
- MONDAY 19th OCTOBER 'Expedition to Mongolia, flower-hunting with John Blashford Snell' Cynthia Hardyman
- MONDAY 16th NOVEMBER ‘The Himalayan Garden' (near Ripon) with Phil Cormie, senior gardener
All lecture meetings are held at the Crooklands Hotel, starting at 7.30 p.m. Visitors are always welcome at a charge of £3. There is normally a raffle and frequently there are plants for sale. Any queries to the Chairman, David Prescott on firstname.lastname@example.org